ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:38:07
Wanda, thank you very much.

Happy,happy, joy, joy!!

Angel
   -----Original Message-----
   From:       PrathW1 [SMTP:PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU]
   Sent:       Wednesday, October 13, 1999 8:49 AM
   To:         ADSM-L
   Cc:         PrathW1
   Subject:    Re: Crash recovery doc.

   It's MUCH safer to let ADSM do its own recovery for the data base;
   the
   capability is built in.

   You've done almost everything you need to already.
   The only other thing you need to back up is something that will tell
   you how
   big your ADSM DB and log are.
   (A simple way to do this is to enter the command Q SYSTEM and pipe
   the
   output to a file.)

   Now when you've restored your operating system from the mksysb, the
   ADSM
   code will be there.
   When you try to start the ADSM server, it will look at dsmserv.dsk
   and try
   to find its data base and log volumes that way, but the the disk has
   crashed, so the server won't start at all because it can't find its
   data
   base.

   All you need to do is to use dsmfmt to reformat new empty files for
   the DB
   and log (presumably on new disk!)

   Then you need to check the dsmserv.opt file and make sure there is a
   devconfig entry that points to your devconfig.bk file, and a
   volhistory
   entry that points to your volhist.bk file.

   Then you start the server with :  dsmserv restore db
   ADSM will look in the devconfig to find its tape drive and devclass
   definitions, and look in volhist.bk to find the last good DB backup
   tape, it
   will mount the tape on an appropriate drive, restore its DB and
   reformat the
   recovery log.

   It's very cool, very elegant, and works VERY well.

   So there is no need to tar, better to rely on ADSM's DB restore
   capability
   to get everything back in sync.

   If by chance your replacement disk is not the same size as the old
   (say you
   only have 1 big filesystem instead of 2 small ones), you can edit the
   file
   names used for the db and/or log by editing dsmserv.dsk (something
   you
   should do ONLY in a disaster recovery situation!); just make sure the
   total
   space you format for the db and log is at least as large as your
   original
   ones.

   ***
   Wanda Prather
   The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
   443-778-8769
   wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

   "Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
   Scott Adams/Dilbert
   ***

--openmail-part-0e853a5a-00000001--