ADSM-L

AW: Connecting Agent for Exchange and tool to check the logs

2015-10-04 17:38:07
Subject: AW: Connecting Agent for Exchange and tool to check the logs
From: Roland Bender [mailto:BENDERR AT ING.BOEHRINGER-INGELHEIM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
The idea in general sounds good. But i think i am and my two partners =
are
responsible for backup/restore operations.
So if we send us the logs of all 131 Nodes that we backing up with =
adsm, we
do nothing else the day as looking into=20
logfiles. Because of that i was looking for a tool that takes that part =
for
me. I backing up 9 exchange Servers, up to 44 Unix clients,
about 66 Windows NT nodes. Several Open VMS systems. I was hoping that =
HP
Openview IT could take the part of collecting information
for me, but was a misinterpretation. ITO does not collect things by its =
own,
we have to define things watched by ITO.

I ask myself how other companies handel that. There must be a tool or
someting from Tivoli maybe. Well it seems that i'll have to find it.

But thanks again

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:  Jordan, Chris (ELS) [SMTP:c.jordan AT ELSEVIER.CO DOT UK]
> Gesendet am:  Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 1999 13:30
> An:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Betreff:      Re: Connecting Agent for Exchange and tool to check the =
logs
> and serv er status
>=20
> Sorry, I have no idea what the return code is.
> There might be one - as Query Client Events shows it as "completed".
> There might not be one - as the Activity Log doesn't indicate a =
success or
> failure - just a started and ended line.
>=20
> The best place to look at are the details in the ADSM Agent log files =
on
> the
> Exchange server - and have these mailed out to the relevant people as =
> part
> of the backup script called by the ADSM scheduler.
>=20
> Cheers, Chris
>=20
ITO!
>=20
> Thanks Chris.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von:  Jordan, Chris (ELS) [SMTP:c.jordan AT ELSEVIER.CO DOT UK]
> > Gesendet am:  Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 1999 13:08
> > An:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Betreff:      Re: Connecting Agent for Exchange and tool to check =
the
> logs
> > and serv er status
> >=20
> > Our version 1.1.0.0B is OK.
> > Is the command you typed as specified on the Exchange Server?? The
> actual
> > command is EXCDSMC and NOT EXECDSMC.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Are your backups actually completing correctly?
> > Are the relevant Exchange messages to indicate completed backups =
present
> > in
> > the Event Viewer of the Exchange server?
> >=20
> > It should automatically delete the old Exchange log files - NOT all =
the
> > log
> > files as it will start a couple more immediately the backup is
> completed.
> >=20
> > The backups are then stored in ADSM for ever - unless you delete =
the
> file.
> > You can use the new command introduced in 0.0B to do this =
automatically
> > (see
> > the readme for details).
> >=20
> > Cheers, Chris
> >=20
> >=20
Release
> 1,
> > Level 0.0B
> >         It seems that when a  full backup is completed, the =
Exchange
> > Server
> >         does not delete his backed up logfiles. Therefore the =
Exchange
> >         Server run nearly out of space. I have no idea why he don't
> delete
> >         his logs.
> >=20
> >         Our backup command is the following:
> >=20
> >                 execdsmc /backup:is,full /adsmpwd:<PASSWORD>
> /compress:yes
> > /buffers:6,128
> >=20
> >                 execdsmc /backup:dir,full /adsmpwd:<PASSWORD>
> > /compress:yes
> > /buffers:6,128
> >=20
> >         The filesystem is backed up by another script.
> >=20
> >         The compress statement sounds strange to me, because the =
drives
> > uses
> > hardware compression.
> >         (3590-B1A). I think that hardware compression is much =
better
> than
> > the client compression. Our transferrate is 3,5 G per hour. (FDDI)
> >         Seems to me like a bottleneck in our implementation. I'll =
have
> > check that later...
> >=20
> >         My questions concerning this:
> > *       Is there a known bug in the ADSM Connection Agent for =
Exchange?
> > *       Does anybody know the returncode sended by the ADSM API to =
the
> > Exchange API for successful backup operation?
> > *       Is a new Connecting Agent for Exchange available?
> >=20
> >=20
> > Second:
> >         I'am looking for a kind of tool that help me getting =
information
> > if
> > a backup is successful or not. Yes, i could search
> >         the actlog, but than i do nothing else because of 131 =
Nodes. At
> > the
> > moment i use HP OpenView IT. The problem is, that
> >         ITO wants to know what it should report. I am sure others =
face
> or
> > faced the same problem.
> >=20
> >         My questions concerning this:
> > *       What tools are available to check the client and server =
logs
> > automatically.(Maybe Tivoli? I only know the name...)
> >=20
> >=20
> > Thanks to Mecki once more.
> >=20
> > And thanks to all others of you.
> >=20
> > Yours
> >=20
> >=20
> >         Roland Bender
> >=20
> >         Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma KG
> >         A Informationsverarbeitung
> >         IT Betrieb Ingelheim
> >         Job- und Datenservice
> >=20
> >                 Tel:  06132 / 77 - 2014
> >         e-Mail: BenderR AT ing.boehringer-ingelheim DOT com
> > =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=