ADSM-L

Connecting Agent for Exchange and tool to check the logs and

2015-10-04 17:38:07
Subject: Connecting Agent for Exchange and tool to check the logs and
From: Roland Bender [mailto:BENDERR AT ING.BOEHRINGER-INGELHEIM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hello again,

i have some other questions to the members of this helpfull list.

Our Server Level is:
        ADSM Server for AIX-RS/6000 - Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.0

First:
        We use ADSM Connecting Agent for MS Exchange Version1, Release 1,
Level 0.0B
        It seems that when a  full backup is completed, the Exchange Server
        does not delete his backed up logfiles. Therefore the Exchange
        Server run nearly out of space. I have no idea why he don't delete
        his logs.

        Our backup command is the following:

                execdsmc /backup:is,full /adsmpwd:<PASSWORD> /compress:yes
/buffers:6,128

                execdsmc /backup:dir,full /adsmpwd:<PASSWORD> /compress:yes
/buffers:6,128

        The filesystem is backed up by another script.

        The compress statement sounds strange to me, because the drives uses
hardware compression.
        (3590-B1A). I think that hardware compression is much better than
the client compression. Our transferrate is 3,5 G per hour. (FDDI)
        Seems to me like a bottleneck in our implementation. I'll have to
check that later...

        My questions concerning this:
*       Is there a known bug in the ADSM Connection Agent for Exchange?
*       Does anybody know the returncode sended by the ADSM API to the
Exchange API for successful backup operation?
*       Is a new Connecting Agent for Exchange available?

Second:
        I'am looking for a kind of tool that help me getting information if
a backup is successful or not. Yes, i could search
        the actlog, but than i do nothing else because of 131 Nodes. At the
moment i use HP OpenView IT. The problem is, that
        ITO wants to know what it should report. I am sure others face or
faced the same problem.

        My questions concerning this:
*       What tools are available to check the client and server logs
automatically.(Maybe Tivoli? I only know the name...)

Thanks to Mecki once more.

And thanks to all others of you.

Yours

        Roland Bender

        Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma KG
        A Informationsverarbeitung
        IT Betrieb Ingelheim
        Job- und Datenservice

                Tel:  06132 / 77 - 2014
        e-Mail: BenderR AT ing.boehringer-ingelheim DOT com
Notice:
An electronic message is not binding on its sender.
Any message referring to a binding engagement must be confirmed in writing
and duly signed.