ADSM-L

ADSM Oracle agent for NT

1999-10-08 11:14:22
Subject: ADSM Oracle agent for NT
From: Thiha Than <thiha AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:14:22 -0600
hi Larry,

Once you installed the agent, registered the agent node with the server, and ran
the password file setup on agent side is pretty much done.  The rest of the
setup suppose to be done on Oracle side.  All the backup/restore/recover scripts
are related to RMAN.  If you are looking for a good manual on RMAN, please take
a look at "Oracle8 Server Backup and Recovery Guide" published by Oracle press.

Allocation of tape vs disk is nothing to do with storage pools.  In a RMAN
script, if you allocate a device 'SBT_TAPE', it is telling RMAN to use Media
Management Vendor's library which is agent.  If you allocate a device 'DISK', it
is telling RMAN to use oracle internal library to backup to disk.

regards,
Thiha

>Hi:
>I'm finding the documentation for the ADSM ORACLE agent for NT confusing. After
completeing the install it does not >explain how to initiate a backup and there
appears to be no GUI. Following on, the manual describes setting up a >separate
instance of the schedular to initate backups via the schedular and a command
file that has ORACLE8 RMAN >commands.

>It also gives no examples of what these RMAN command scripts might be. I'm not
a database person and our ORACLE people >are not acqauinted with RMAN. I've
glanced thru the enormous ORACLE backup manual for release 8 and it appears to
>require a specific allocation of a target device, e.g., a tape or disk, and yet
from the ADSM install this should be >transparant since the backup group is
already associated with a copypool. Does anyone have any experience with this