ADSM-L

ADSM - Informix DB Migration ?

2015-10-04 17:38:06
Subject: ADSM - Informix DB Migration ?
From: Jason Howard [mailto:jason.howard AT MINDSPRING DOT COM]
Is this scenario possible?
Here is my setup---

ADSM for NT 3.1.2.41 w/ 700 GB of Data Volume
ADIC Scalar 1000 Library w/ 4 AIT Drives Fibre Channel attached
Client - Solaris 2.6 running Informix 7.3
SQL Backtrack for Informix 2.1.00

I have a 500 GB DB in INFORMIX that eventually will grow to 1 TB.

I want to perform a full backup of the DB, what is going to happen when
I do a migration to tape.
Does ADSM treat the DB as one file or multiple files.  In other words,
will it stripe the data simultaneously across multiple tape drives or
will it use 1 drive and 1 tape until the tape is full and move on to the
next tape.  If I calculate that correctly, then if I back up a 500GB
file it will take 23 hours if I get 6 MB/s on my tape drives.

If ADSM will only use 1 drive, how can I migrate this DB within a
reasonable amount of time.
Take this as theory only.  Please do not jump on the AIX vs NT  ADSM
wagon. I know the dispute. Please answer theoretically only.

Thanks!!!!!

--
Jason Howard
Jason Howard