ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation problem

1999-10-06 10:55:19
Subject: Re: Reclamation problem
From: Lisa Baas <lbaas AT MSAC.MTSAC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:55:19 -0700
> From:    "Bohnsack, JA James (6030)" <BohnsackJA AT GVL.ESYS DOT COM>
> Subject: Re: Reclamation problem
>
> Lisa--I'm using a VM V2 server as well.  Getting tape handling to work
> properly was pretty messy.  I'll be glad to send you my mount and deletion
> execs if you want.  They are set up to work with Sterling's VMTAPE.

Jim,

I think I have tape handling working ok because we've been humming along for
a few years now. But this is the first time I've attempted reclamation. The
exit machine is terminating before it ever gets to the point of talking to
our tape management system (CA/EPIC) because there's nothing on the stack.

Here's the trace:

13 *-* Address Command
15 *-* /* ------------------------------------- */
16 *-* /* Make sure something is on the stack.  */
17 *-* /* ------------------------------------- */
19 *-* If Queued() = 0
>>>   "1"
*-*  Then
*-*  Do
20 *-*   'CP MSG OP No parms passed on AUTOLOG -- contact ADSM Administrator

.'
>>>     "CP MSG OP No parms passed on AUTOLOG -- contact ADSM Administrat

or."
21 *-*   'CP LOGOFF'
>>>     "CP LOGOFF"

> Finally, the server does seem to get confused at times, altho typically when
> it is very busy with reclaims, migration, backups, and you name it going on,
> and will start putting out the message you saw, ANR5241E Exit Machine ...
> not logged on, mount for 002353 cancelled.  Quite often when that happens,
> the only thing to do is to quiesce the server and recycle it.  I assume it
> is a programming/logic error that, hopefully, will be fixed in V2.

The server isn't very busy. In fact, I scheduled the reclamation during what
I know to be a quiet time and I've tried it at various other times after
tweaking this or that. Same result each time.

> I don't have a magic answer for your problem.  I would look again at the
> situation where you say that no data is passed to the server.

Strange. It's got to be something unique to my environment or everyone with a
VM server would know about this. There are no apars that address this
particular problem and I've searched all over the tech support databases and
got no hits. It looks like I'll be calling support on this one.

Thanks to everyone. Additional suggestions/comments always welcome.

/lisa