ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation problem

1999-10-06 08:57:28
Subject: Re: Reclamation problem
From: "Bohnsack, JA James (6030)" <BohnsackJA AT GVL.ESYS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:57:28 -0500
Lisa--I'm using a VM V2 server as well.  Getting tape handling to work
properly was pretty messy.  I'll be glad to send you my mount and deletion
execs if you want.  They are set up to work with Sterling's VMTAPE.

Something that made our life much easier is an undocumented option for
DSMSERV OPT.  DEVNOREADCHECK allows the server to ignore the RING IN/NO RING
status of the input tape.  I trust DSMSERV not to randomly write on tapes.
It was suggested by Dave Larimer, a list contributor.

Finally, the server does seem to get confused at times, altho typically when
it is very busy with reclaims, migration, backups, and you name it going on,
and will start putting out the message you saw, ANR5241E Exit Machine ...
not logged on, mount for 002353 cancelled.  Quite often when that happens,
the only thing to do is to quiesce the server and recycle it.  I assume it
is a programming/logic error that, hopefully, will be fixed in V2.

I don't have a magic answer for your problem.  I would look again at the
situation where you say that no data is passed to the server.  Altho, that
could very well be what triggers the ANR5241E msg for me, even tho it
happens very infrequently.

Jim Bohnsack
Raytheon Systems Co.