ADSM-L

AW: ANE4018E file name too long (WinNT Client)

1999-10-06 08:17:22
Subject: AW: ANE4018E file name too long (WinNT Client)
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:17:22 +0200
Gerhard,
there is a restriction for filenames (including path) in NT that is
controlled by the NT system. So it is not possible to create files with a
filename longer than this restriction on your local system. The NT api
functions ADSM has to use to gain access to data on the disks also has this
restriction.

So far with theory. Reality provides a possibility to create filenames quite
a bit longer:

Let there be a directory
D:\averylongpaththatleadstothebasedirectoryofyourshare\share on server SRV1
which is shared as SHARE. When you mount this share on another machine, e.g.
"net use f: \\SRV\SHARE", the NT system on the workstation does not know
about the real length of the path on the server. Unfortunately NT server
does not check pathlength when writing data to the disks that comes from the
network but lets the workstation do this. This makes it possible to create a
file with maximum name length plus the length of the leading path, in our
example this adds about 50 chars to the filename on the server.
NT itself has certain problems with such names (such as strange effects in
Explorer) but it does not have to use the api functions...

This problem so is in fact both an ADSM and an NT problem, but it is a
problem we can live with. Usually we just tell our users not to sleep on the
keyboard while typing in filenames (8->).

Best regards,
Michael