ADSM-L

Re: ANE4018E file name too long (WinNT Client)

1999-10-06 07:52:14
Subject: Re: ANE4018E file name too long (WinNT Client)
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 06:52:14 -0500
Looks like a winnt restriction that it itself has violated.

NTFS is supposed to not allow a path greater than 260chars and a filename
longer than 255chars.

However there are certain situations under which this standard is violated.

Internet Explorer is the champion of all - it creates stupid bizarre
filenames like this all the time. Only Microsoft could do it....

It is however possible for a Win95 Client or a WinnT client to create a
filepath on a WinnNT Server that exceeds 260chars.
see Technet Q177665

I've ranted and raved about this before and am constantly bugging Microsoft
as to why they are allowing their own O/S products to violate their
filesystem standards. It's completely unacceptable

ADSM utilizes the Win32 API therefore it is attempting to adhere to
Microsofts "standards" if you want to call them that. That's why ADSM can't
backup that file.

Microsoft has created alternative means to allow the Win32 API to address
paths 32,000 unicode character long, but IBM tell me that in order for ADSM
to do that it would take a significant code re-write.. which I have asked
them to do nonetheless, as they'll probably get round to it quicker than
Microsof.. which would probably be Windows 3000??

Nathan