ADSM-L

Re: 3590 B-11 -----> 3590 mocel E's

1999-10-05 20:13:07
Subject: Re: 3590 B-11 -----> 3590 mocel E's
From: Kenneth Bury <kbury AT CAROLINA.RR DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:13:07 -0400
Based on our experience:

1. E drives can read B tapes, if they are set to read-only in ADSM.
2. E drives will not write to partially filled B tapes (see 1., ADSM will
tell you that no drives are available).
3. Scratch tapes labeled by a B drive are 'upgraded' to an E tape by the E
drive upon first use.

We upgraded our 4 drives 2 at a time so for a period of time we only ran the
E drives and keep the B drives off-line (they are all in the same library).
This way we didn't have the problem of E tapes in a B drive, but based on
what we have seen -- ADSM keeps track of the tape types anyway.

Make sure you have the latest 747 microcode on the E drives.

Word of advice, get the other two drives upgraded or keep the different
drive types in separate libraries.

Ken