ADSM-L

Re: Exchange agent and versions kept

1999-10-05 08:17:27
Subject: Re: Exchange agent and versions kept
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 07:17:27 -0500
Chris,

Certain fields in the Management class copy groups are not applicable to the
Exchange Agent.

You should set the Management Class Copy Group as:

If Client data exists 1
If Client data is delete 0

extra backup versions 0
only backup versions 0

To my knowledge there is no direct way to "keep last 7 versions". The
ifolder option will delete backups more than x days old, but it does not
guarantee how many versions will be retained. There is no direct way to do
this.

In order to accomplish this you would have to write a script which would
first do a excdsmc /query and then parse the output forming a list of
candidates for deletion, at the same time retaining the last x versions.

Our site has an SLO to keep  one month's worth of backups, therefore the
ifolder option works well for us. The ability to keep x amount of versions
would be a nice addition to the Connect Agent, as would a little bit of
smarts in the ifolder option whereby it deletes back to the last full backup
there's little point in keeping those worthless incrementals around
without a full backup as a starting point for a recovery.

Nathan