ADSM-L

Exchange agent and versions kept

1999-10-05 06:20:22
Subject: Exchange agent and versions kept
From: "Jordan, Chris (ELS)" <c.jordan AT ELSEVIER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:20:22 +0100
At the present time we have the Exchange agent set to keep 7 versions. These
7 versions are set both in the Backup Copy group and on the "AutoDelete
IfOlder than 7" on the client. We can, therefore, restore from the Exchange
server any of these last 7 versions.

However, looking at the contents of various tapes, it seems that ADSM is
actually keeping the Exchange backups for much longer - like about 2 months.

Experimenting, we reduced the "Retain deleted versions" and "Retain only
version" to 7 (they were set to 60 days), and then expired the inventory.
All of the older versions of the backups were then deleted (and we freed up
9 tapes in the on-site library!).

The Exchange Agent sends each backup to ADSM with a unique name - based on
the date of the backup. Therefore (our reasoning based on the experimenting)
these older backups are counted as "deleted" by the ADSM server, and were
being kept for 60 days. Now we have set the deleted days to match the number
of versions we have a better level of data vs restore capability.

Is this reasoning correct??

Cheers, Chris