ADSM-L

ADSM thru Firewalls?

1999-09-24 17:22:32
Subject: ADSM thru Firewalls?
From: Danley Mike-xopr43 <M.Danley AT MOTOROLA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:22:32 -0700
Hi....

Well, we've tried every other resource and have yet to find a cure, so I
thought I would try this group.

We have a major issue trying to leverage our huge ADSM infrastructure on
distributed nodes that have to sit in a DMZ area (untrusted network). There
are a couple key considerations and technology issues to keep in mind:

* We wish to have an ADSM server sitting in the DMZ but talking back to our
3494 Robot in the trusted network.
        - Mount & unmount require an IP connection. Assumed to be un-
secure

* We actually run the notion of a quarantine zone (QZ) which essentially is
a dedicated sub-net that sits between the DMZ and the trusted network.
There is firewall present here. More importantly, we have several QZ's we
would like to service with on ADSM server (AIX or Solaris).This too is
thought to introduce a security problem.

* We've been told if ADSM was able to invoke the backup's from the server as
opposed to the client, we could easily secure this link. However, IBM
maintains this can't be done. (neither does Net Backup).

So the bottom line is; does anyone have a positive experience in using ADSM
to backup boxes that sit on the other side of a firewall?
Any other way to look at the solution?

Thanks;

Mike Danley
Motorola GCT
Global Architecture & Technology Integration
Phone:  480.441.1179
Phager: 602.721.5790
EMail:   M.Danley AT mot DOT com