ADSM-L

Re: Long folder names truncated on Novell data

1999-09-17 17:09:03
Subject: Re: Long folder names truncated on Novell data
From: S W Branch <SWBRANC AT PPCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:09:03 -0500
Hi Bob,

I've usually seen this happen when files are restored before the directories
that the files are supposed to be under. In this case ADSM has to create a
directory first and sometimes the long file name doesn't always get put back as
an attribute. This has happened on both version 3 and version 4 Novell servers.
We've also seen the same thing with trustee rights, but fortunately most of the
rights are on the top level directories and then cascaded down so we don't get
bitten by this very often. It's always been pretty difficult to pin down the
exact set of circumstances so that IBM could work on it. I've seen the most
trouble when using ADSM to migrate the data to newer hardware.

When I talked with you a few weeks back you said that you had ADSM server
Version 3, but hadn't installed it yet. Going to Version 3 might be the solution
to the problem because the latest levels of the server and client are now
supposed to backup and restore using the long file name instead of the DOS file
name.

We just purchased the upgrade from version 2 to 3 and will be installing it
shortly.

Steve Branch
Phillips Petroleum
e-mail: swbranc AT ppco DOT com

Bob G Blankenship <rgblank AT bvlnotes10.ppco DOT com> on 09/17/99 02:51:25 PM

Any replies will be addressed to: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>