ADSM-L

Re: Copy reclamation pool

1999-09-16 14:19:45
Subject: Re: Copy reclamation pool
From: Leonid Sirotinsky <lsirotinsky AT IAA.GOV DOT IL>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:19:45 +0200
Hi, Jonathan!

How are you in nice Montreal ?

You wrote :
we are using a 3590 tape drive.
You have a primary and a copy stg pools,
so I guess you have two 3590 tape drives.

I have the same or the similar installation.
ADSM V3 Server on AS/400 machine, two 3590 tapes.
One for primary stg pool, other for copy stg pool.

I have tried all methods you describe in your letter.
Results of your tests are right.
The problem that 3590 tape drive is independent tape.
If you want to make a automatic reclamation you have to use
at least two drives within one tape or automatic library.
Two 3590 tape drives are still two independent tapes.
They are not useful for automatic reclamation.

I see two solutions.
The first:
Buy 3494 automatic tape library, install within the library your existing
3590 tapes and you will be able to make the automatic reclamation.
But this library is expensive and need significant physical place.

The second (I use):
You have the copy pool. There are some volumes in the pool.
1. Delete the volume/volumes:
    del v copypool copyXX discarddata=y.
2. Backup the primary pool again:
    backup stg primpool copypool.