ADSM-L

Problem with STK9714 and cleaning tapes

2015-10-04 17:39:21
Subject: Problem with STK9714 and cleaning tapes
From: John Schneider [mailto:jdschn AT IBM DOT NET]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Greetings,
    We are running and ADSM 3.1.2.20 under AIX 4.3.2, with a STK9714
library, with
6 DLT7000 drives.
    Our STK hardware guy told us that we need to utilize cleaning
cartidges with the library
by enabling cleaning cartidge support and checking in cleaning
cartidges  from the
front-panel.  This is all outside of ADSM, using just the STK keys to do
this.
    Well, this causes ADSM problems.  Any time the cleaning light comes
on on a drive,
the STK correctly inserts a cleaning tape, but when the cleaning tape is
done, ADSM
receives an error from the library, and sometimes from the drive.  We
think this is
also causing some tapes to be marked unavailable too, due to the errors.

    So we tried doing it the other way, too.  We checked out the
cleaning cartidges, and
turned off the cleaning tape support at the library level.  Then we used
ADSM to
check in the cleaning tapes instead, thinking that would cure the
errors.  But then
when the cleaning light comes on on the drive, ADSM does not seem to do
anything.  It doesn't get any errors in the activity log, either, it
just seems to
not notice at all.  And of course, you can't use the tape drive again
until you
manually put in a cleaning cartidge, and so the drive stays in media
wait until then.

    What are other customers doing to solve this problem?

Thanks,
John Schneider

* John D. Schneider       Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556
* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.