ADSM-L

Slow DSMSERV RESTORE DB

1999-09-15 16:55:56
Subject: Slow DSMSERV RESTORE DB
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:55:56 -0500
Greetings,
    I have a customer who has DLT7000 tape drives in a BreeceHill Q47
library.  They
have ADSM 3.1.2.20 running under Solaris 2.6.  Their ADSM database is
about 8GB
and takes about 50 minutes to backup.
    Twice now they have tried to restore the ADSM DB as part of a
disaster recovery
test (using DRM).  Things go fine defining and installing the new DB,
but the restore of
the ADSM DB goes VERY slowly.  It takes about 7 Hours to complete! I
would have
expected it to take 60-70 minutes maybe; a little slower than the
backup, but not a lot
slower.
    The system they are using for the test is faster and has 3GB ram, as
much as the
production system they are starting from.  One thing that is different
about the test system
is that it has 3 DLT7000 drives on the same adapter, but I don't think
that should matter
much because the other two drives are idle during this time in the
recovery.
    The restore is not hanging.  It periodically gives it's messages
that say how many
pages have been restored, and the progress seems to be consistent, it is
just VERY slow.

Any ideas?   Thanks in advance,

John Schneider

* John D. Schneider       Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556
* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.