ADSM-L

Exchange databases corrupted after restore

1999-09-13 14:23:49
Subject: Exchange databases corrupted after restore
From: "Robinson, Cris" <Cris.Robinson AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:23:49 -0400
Does anyone have any insight on what may be causing the problem we are
experiencing with the restore of two exchange servers.
here is a an extract of what our Exchange folks ran into this weekend....

<<    There's not a lot I can really add, since everything looks like it
works perfectly until you check the Information Store for corruption,
but....
        - We forced a backup of MSG-01 & MSG-02, which completed
successfully.
        - Shut down the old machines and removed them from the domain.
        - Re-added computer accounts for those machines to the domain.
        - Powered new machines (which had been pre-configured with NT 4 SP3)
and renamed them to LMIG-MSG-01 & 02, setting up all TCP/IP settings to
mimic those of the old machines.
        - Installed Exchange plus Exchange SP2.
        - Installed ADSM.
        - Restored Directory and Info Store with no problem.
        - Started Exchange services with no problem.
        - Stopped Info Store and ran Eseutil/g (consistancy checker) on the
Info Store.
        - Eseutil returned '-1206 JET_errDatabaseCorrupted non-db file or
corrupted db'
                Both servers we worked on yesterday exhibited exactly the
same symptoms.  No apparent problems or error messages until the eseutil.
This is also exactly what happened a number of times while we were trying to
recover MSG-15 a few weeks back.
The only time I've seen a full server recovery work using ADSM is when it's
restored to the same machine (same physical box) it came from.  That was
during testing on LMIG-ExSwap-01.  Every time we've tried to restore to a
different physical box with the same server name etc. results in database
corruption.  Only variable is that the restore is to a different box than
the backup came from.
Thanks,
Russ >>

Anyone???
I suspect they are doing something on the Exchange end that is causing the
problem. Thoughts?

CR

Cris Robinson
Sr. Technical Analyst
Enterprise Storage Management / ADSM
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
603.431.8400.54837
mailto:cris.robinson AT libertymutual DOT com