ADSM-L

Priority of processes with regard to tape drives?

1999-09-09 11:20:38
Subject: Priority of processes with regard to tape drives?
From: Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:20:38 +0200
Hi,
I recently experienced a difficult situation. By accident a few users
started a number of large restores during the night which caused all
tape drives to be used for the restores. Therefore, no tape drives were
left for the migration of the disk pools.
I understand that restores have precedence over reclamaitions.
Furthermore, it is a good idea to give the DB backup precedence over
everything else. But I don't think it is a good idea to give restores
precedence over storage pool migration. This can cause all backup
sessions to stop.
Is there anything I can configure to prevent this problem (except
buying a large number of drives)?
Best regards
Gerhard

---
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Regional Computing Center     tel.   ++49/711/685 5806
University of Stuttgart       fax:   ++49/711/682357
Allmandring 30a
D 70550
Stuttgart
Germany