ADSM-L

Re: Solaris for ADSM Server 3.1.2.20 very s

1999-09-08 10:24:36
Subject: Re: Solaris for ADSM Server 3.1.2.20 very s
From: Becky Buechler <Buechlerb AT SCHNEIDER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:24:36 GMT
Kelly,

My environment is almost identical to yours.  We have a Solaris
Server(5500), 1 GB memory, 3494 with 3590-b ultra-scsi drives. My database
is 8 GB spread across two volumes.  It took me almost 6 hours to restore my
database a couple of months ago.   I am trying to get a test system to look
at raw volumes for the DB to see if that helps.  From what I am hearing it
won't.

The ADSM server is at 3.1.2.14. I am also hoping that maybe somehow
3.1.2.40 will help this problem. Unfortunately I don't want to go to
3.1.2.40 until IBM fixes all the problems they keep
introducing/reintroducing in the new fixes.

I have talked to Steve Roder on this list who was able to work with IBM on
getting some new code just for SUN restores. He has reduced his restore
times using this new code. Maybe Steve can comment more on this and what
the code actually does. Or maybe IBM has some information for us?

If you come up with anything please let me know and I will do the same. I
think 6 hours is not acceptable for an 8 GB DB or in your case 6 GB's in 9
hours....

Becky Buechler
Schneider National Inc.
buechlerb AT schneider DOT com
(920) 592-8331

                    ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU              To:     Becky
Buechler/Schneider@Schneider,
                                         ADSM-L@ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU@SMTP@exchange
                    09/07/1999           cc:
                    06:04 PM             Subject:      Solaris for ADSM Server
3.1.2.20 very s

Folks,

Solaris Server v3.1.2.20
IBMtape 4.0.3.0
lmcpd 4.0.1.0
3590 Microcode level 57D

We're attempting a database restore on a large Solaris Server, 4 g of
memory,
3494 with 3590 drives, db spread across 16 volumes (about 2 gb each).

We're seeing restore rates of 2000 pages per minute.  At this rate, we
estimate a restore time of about 9 hours for a 6 GB database!  Not good.
Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Kelly Lipp