ADSM-L

Re: Single Tape Drive Situation

1999-09-08 12:11:25
Subject: Re: Single Tape Drive Situation
From: Rodrigo Cordovil Gazzaneo <rgazzaneo AT INFOLINK.COM DOT BR>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:11:25 EST
Hi Jason,

I am going through a similar situation in a client with a single 3590
drive. Both reclamation and tape copy have the same architecture : tape ->
disk -> tape , using a intermediate disk storage pool as buffer. For
reclamation ADSM needs a FILE device class pool, so I kept this definition
for a buffer pool.

I still hasn't been able to perform tape to tape copy because of the need
of disk space. While the reclamation pool with 8 GB is enough for me (I
have enough tapes, so I only reclaim them when they are 80% empty or more
and I control it manually), tape to tape will force me to have 30 GB for my
3590 volumes and the SSA disks are yet to arrive.

My client is very disappointed that he can't make tape to tape copy. And I
am "reinventing" tape vaulting and movement without copy storage pools ...
as a temporary solution.

I strongly recommend a second tape drive. System administration won't be
complicated.

best regards,
Rodrigo Gazzaneo