ADSM-L

NT Backup Client Performance

1999-09-06 11:35:56
Subject: NT Backup Client Performance
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:35:56 +0200
When watching the network throughput during backup in Performance Monitor, I
get quite stange results:
Repeating within about 1 second intervals I get "peaks" that nearly reach
network bandwidth, then there's a "break" about as long as the peak was. On
the server there's hardly any other activity during this time and it's only
one large file (several GBs). We've tried this with compression ON and OFF.

It seems to us that the ADSM client does its work sequentially instead of
parallel: First read an amount of data (and don't use a buffer too large),
then stop reading and send the buffer to the ADSM server, then loop...

Maybe I'm wrong as I might just haven't detected the real bottleneck in the
long chain from the NT client to the OS390 server, but at least the
behaviour is strange.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Michael