ADSM-L

Tape Drive / Library Recommendations

1999-09-06 10:56:53
Subject: Tape Drive / Library Recommendations
From: Neil Schofield <Neil.Schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:56:53 +0100
Can anoybody help me with some advice about choosing a new tape library?

We implemented ADSM at the start of the year using two StorageTek
Timberwolf 9710 libraries (238 slots) each containing 6 DLT7000 tape
drives.

I've been very pleased with ADSM, found the StorageTek completely reliable
but have had various problems with the DLT7000 drives.

We are now looking at implementing another two ADSM installations and I
need two more libraries. My first thought was to buy the same again, but
after doing some investigation there seem to be a lot of reasons to choose
differently.

I've been particularly impressed with the AIT-2 option. On the surface it
looks like I could buy a similarly configured ADIC Scalar 1000 library with
6 AIT-2 tape drives for a less money, but offering very similar
performance.

I'd be particularly interested in hearing of people's experience (good or
bad) of either the ADIC libraries or the AIT-2 drives. What are their
strengths and weaknesses compared to STK/DLT7000?

Thanks
Neil Schofield

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Kelda Group plc and its subsidiaries, UK
Registered in England and Wales No 2366627