ADSM-L

Re: disk-pool performance

1999-09-06 10:28:20
Subject: Re: disk-pool performance
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:28:20 -0500
Walter,

Yikes.. you made your diskpools RAID5 on NT. NT is slow enough without
having to make it's DISKPOOL RAID5.
I'd go for RAID0 for diskpools and if I had the money RAID0+1 for a bit of
fault tolerance.

I suppose that depends upon how critical you view your diskpools. To me the
diskpool is just a temp. staging area
therefore in the event that I lost a disk, I'd re-do my diskpool and rerun
last night's backup.

If you're doing stuff like HSM then you might want more fault tolerance in
there.

Incidentally my throughput doubled on diskpool perf when I went from RAID5
to RAID0+1.

As far as DB and Logs, I don't think that anyone can afford to be as risky
as RAID0. However again RAID5 would be my last
choice here. I'd rather go with a RAID1. Common sense suggests that devoting
as many spindles as possible to the DB and log will give you the best
peformance i.e. rather than mirror a single 20Gb drive, mirror 5 4Gb drives.
Real world stats may prove me wrong on this but makes sense to me...

Then when creating the Database volumes create multiple volumes per physical
drive. If you've been reading the list a lot of people have pointed out that
a separate thread is allocated for each database volume, therefore the
larger the number of database volumes the greater the throughput. However
there must be some sort of limit to this... .e.g If I had a 10Gb disk volume
which I needed to create database volumes on, I reckon that I'd hamper
rather than improve performance by creating 100 100Mbyte database volumes.
Some experimentation would be required here to find out where the balance
lies.

Just my thoughts...

Nathan