ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Bottleneck

1999-09-03 05:51:12
Subject: Re: ADSM Bottleneck
From: "Jordan, Chris (ELS)" <c.jordan AT ELSEVIER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:51:12 +0100
Trying to ignore the NT / UNIX battles, and just reporting our thoughts and
(possibly erroneous) conclusions.

Thought: A backup is useless. It takes time; its an intrusion; no body needs
it.
HOWEVER the reason for taking backups is so that we can do restores.

We see 3 types of restores: One is the daily "I've lost my file". These are
a pain but a necessary fact of life. The second is the complete restore of a
single server. The third is the complete restore of the whole data centre.
Our business has decreed that the third should have priority (our building
is right next door to a training airport!).

So for a "speedy" datacentre restore we need multiple parallel restores
happening at the same time. We get this from multiple, smaller, boxes.
Our Disaster Recovery site has no server hardware in it. The computers are
built when we invoke the DR plan. Our DR site supplier can provide fully
configured and working NT boxes quicker than they can provide UNIX boxes.

Therefore, in our situation, we use multiple NT boxes for the ADSM Server
systems.

Cheers, Chris