ADSM-L

Re: NT Bare Metal Restore, cannot login

1999-09-02 11:44:03
Subject: Re: NT Bare Metal Restore, cannot login
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:44:03 -0400
I do not know for sure what the problem is, but we ran into something
similar, so maybe this will help:
(at least I hope it won't make things worse!)

1) Did you reboot after copying the registry files?

2) I assume this is a Microsoft WinNT domain, not Novell.

We do restores just as you described.
When we install the new NT at c:\winntrest, we do NOT join the NT domain.
Instead we log in as the LOCAL Windows administrator. We do all the restores
and reboot, without logging into the NT domain.
(It's not necessary, since ADSM is using TCP/IP and is unaware of NT
security.)

The reason is that if you join the domain (by logging in to NT) a new SID is
generated the registry, and I think updates something on the NT domain
controller, and you have this type of problem.

If you wait until after you finish restoring the registry, the SIDs match
when you log in after reboot, and you won't have this problem.

If this is your problem, the way around it is to have the WinNT domain
administrator remove you from the domain, then add you back again.