ADSM-L

Re: Adsm server 3.1.2.40, problems?

1999-09-02 09:56:45
Subject: Re: Adsm server 3.1.2.40, problems?
From: Matthias Hensel <Matthias.Hensel AT SCHERING DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 15:56:45 +0200
Now when we solved our problems with the ADSM Upgrade from 3.1.2.22 to
3.1.2.40 I like to give feedback about the solution:

To remind the situation:
We have an ADSM server (AIX 4.3) with a 3494 libray and 3590E drives
connected running level 3.1.2.22. Due to some reasons we wanted to upgrade
to 3.1.2.40. When we did so, the server had problems accessing the tape
volumes. (We deleted the drives and redefined them to ADSM after the
upgrade). When doing a restore the server issued the error "data
unavailable to server" and in the actlog was found "no drives available to
server".
Nevertheless it was able to create new tapes. For example it was possible
to migrate the diskpools when updating all "filling tapes" as read-only.

Since we could not be productive with this problems we went back to
3.1.2.22. Now the server got problems accessing the volumes that were
created in level 3.1.2.40.

This problem was escalated to IBM as IY03199. The problem was, that in
level 3.1.2.22 the 3590E-drives were recognised internal as being
4mm-drives. Therefore all volumes that were created were also marked as
being 4mm-tapes. Why ever, this bug was corrected in 3.1.2.40. That means,
when we redefined the drives after upgrading to 3.1.2.40 our drives were
found as being 3590E-drives but the volumes that were created in 3.1.2.22
still were 4mm-tapes in the eyes of ADSM for which ADSM correctly found no
drive installed.

IBM send us an emergency fix server that contained an dsmserv-image with a
command that updated all these volumes as being 3590e tapes again.

So be aware of having problems when you started using 3590e tapes with ADSM
server level 3.1.2.22 and then upgrade to a higher level.

Yours Matthias