ADSM-L

Recovery log problem

2015-10-04 17:39:20
Subject: Recovery log problem
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi there,
yesterday afternoon we started a backup of a new ADSM client with a large
filesystem.
When the nigthly backup started, there were a lot of of the following
messages:

ANR4551I Incremental database backup (process 196) complete, 427 pages
copied.
ANR0985I Process 196 for DATABASE BACKUP running in the BACKGROUND
completed
with completion state SUCCESS at 00:46:58.

ANR4556W Warning: the database backup operation did not free sufficient

recovery log space to lower utilization below the database backup trigger.
The
recovery log size may need to be increased.

ANR0984I Process 197 for DATABASE BACKUP started in the BACKGROUND at
00:47:07.

This was repeated several times, since we receveid the following:
ANR0314W Recovery log usage exceeds 98 % of its assigned capacity.
ANR4550I Full database backup (process 214) complete, 242459 pages copied.

and then all fails with message like this:
ANR0526W Transaction failed for session 3094 for node HUEY (HPUX) -
sufficient
recovery log space is not available.

I manually extend the recovery log, and then it works fine.

My question is: why DBB is not able to free sufficient recovery log space?
In my understanding, recovery log will be freed once a Database backup is
run.
BTW, data base backup trigger is at 80% .
ADSM Server 3.1.2.20 on OS/390 V2R6

Thanks in advance and best regards.
Valeriano Bassi          bassi AT ssb DOT it