ADSM-L

Re: ADSMconnect agent for Exchange throughput

1999-08-31 13:44:58
Subject: Re: ADSMconnect agent for Exchange throughput
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:44:58 -0400

> Try some performance tuning before abandoning the Agent.
>
> I doubled my ADSM solution capacity by tunning my server. I increased TPC
> buffers and parameters (tcp_sendspace, tcp_recvspace, somaxconn, sb_max)
> and also read some kernel tips from the ADSM Performance guide over vmtune.
>
> On the client side, I increased TCPBUFFSIZE and TCPWINDOWSIZE. The Connect
> Agent Redbook gives a little help, but nothing like learning from trying
> (if well documented, of course).
>
> Helped a lot in my implementation, I am doing my benchmarks this week.
>
> And, about your backup window, the Agent does the backup online, an since
> mail is by definition an assynchronous activity, ...
>
> Is your network dedicated to the backup activity ? I've experienced IBM's
> fast ethernet interface having problems with auto-negotiation, so force the
> right media (100_half / 100_full_duplex), etc.
>
> good luck,
> Rodrigo

Thanks to Wes Lewison, Rodrigo, and everyone who has made suggestions on tuning
the Connect Agent.  I do have the Connect Agent Redbook and set dsm.opt
accordingly, but it didn't seem to help.  I will try more tuning and let you
all know the results.

As to the 6 hour backup window, it is an administrative decision not to
downgrade the system if possible during the day.  The network is not dedicated
to backup.  Our network folks prefer us not to backup a 10G db during the
day.  All backups are to be done between midnight and 8am.

Eliza

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                email : eliza.lau AT vt DOT edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                           phone : (540) 231-9399