ADSM-L

Re: Exporting client nodes with limited resources

1999-08-31 09:50:45
Subject: Re: Exporting client nodes with limited resources
From: Rodrigo Cordovil Gazzaneo <rgazzaneo AT INFOLINK.COM DOT BR>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:50:45 EST
>Your details are a bit hazy, I hope this'll fix you up...

I hope so !

>You can get away with using the "original" data tapes by doing..
>1) Steps to take on the original site...
>run a FULL backupDB (BACKUPFULL in volhist)
>collect the "original" data tapes
>collect volhist and devcnfg and options files
>(i.e. Volume History and Device Config files)

Seems okay until now. Shouldn't I export the node so my client definitions
could be imported on the remote site ? Just knowing volhist and devconfig
is enough ?

>2) Steps to take on the remote site....
>put volhist and devcnfg and options on the remote system
>put "original" tapes into the library/drive as needed
>modify devcnfg "inventory"(if needed) and "define" lines to
>reflect the configuration/inventory on the remote site.

Modify ? Merge both the files ? Include the lines regarding one server on
the other server's files ?

>run restore db (pit restore - select date of you last backup)

When I restore DB I overwrite the prior DB ? I don't want it, I want to add
the definitions and the last backup data to this second server.

>And you should be set for the most part. You can get similar results
>with Export/Import server, DUMP/LOAD/AUDIT DB, DRM PREPARE(if you got it),
>etc.

I thought DRM covered ADSM Server crash. I am not worried with server
crash, my problem is client crash, and transporting data in a way the
server can be replicated elsewhere.

It's like plain tape situation. You backup one box, move the tape to
another site and write it down on other server. I want to make it through
ADSM. That's why I thought of Export / Import.

I don't want to overwrite the DB on the second site. I want to add data to
it.

>....THE END...
>Now the solution to the tape-tape copy w/one drive is the following...
>Setup migration from Tape(Old Tape)->Disk then from Disk->Tape(New T

Like reclamation ... I will probably do this : Switch my reclamation area
to my scratch pool area when making copies. But it is going to be slow ...

Thanks,

Rodrigo