ADSM-L

Security question

1999-08-30 15:24:32
Subject: Security question
From: Joel Cooper <jocooper AT DTTUS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:24:32 -0500
Hello:

I am working with about 50 Windows clients (so far) and will also have about 4
or 5 Novell clients going to my ADSM Server. When our IBM engineer came to help
us get started, he used our node names for the node passwords also. This is nice
and easy to remember, but as I work through implementation, it becomes obvious
that there is a security risk. Other clients could identify themselves to the
server as a different node and restore information that wasn't really theirs.

I am expiring the passwords right now and letting the client generate new,
encrypted passwords. But  I wondered if someone had brainstormed this already
and found the best solution. All of my clients are Windows and Novell. I don't
have any Unix clients on this server.

Thanks for any feedback,

Joel Cooper
Deloitte & Touche LLP