ADSM-L

Update on problems

1999-08-24 19:22:36
Subject: Update on problems
From: Martha McConaghy <URMMNET AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:22:36 EDT
As many of you already know, we have been having serious problems that
causes ADSM-L subscribers to be dropped from the list.  This is not just
affecting ADSM-L, but all the lists Marist hosts.

The problem is not with LISTSERV or DNS, though it appears that we cannot
resolve DNS names.  The problem appears to be somewhere in our SMTP code
and we are working with IBM to track it down.  Unfortunately, it is one
of those problems where tracing affects the symptoms so it has been extremely
tough to pin down.

We are doing our best to keep you all from being dropped while we try to
resolve the problem.  I'll let everyone know when we are close to resolving
it.  In the meantime, please try not to send me notes about it.  I know its
very frustrating.  However, I can either spend my time trying to get the
problem fixed, or in answering 200 complaints.  I think you will agree that the
former is a better use of my time.

Also, the digest problem is still occuring and we have not been able to
pin that down either.  At the moment, I consider the previous problem
more serious and am focusing my energy on that.  However, keep forwarding
bad digests to me.  It will help narrow the problem down.

Martha McConaghy - ADSM-L list owner