ADSM-L

Re: Reboot after NT Client install necessary?

1999-08-24 11:57:02
Subject: Re: Reboot after NT Client install necessary?
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:57:02 -0700
Hi Michael!

Usually the need to reboot occurs when the install program can not
complete the copy of certain necessary files, usually newer versions
of system DLLs. If these files can not be copied (because the DLLs
are in use and locked), they are "staged" so that they will be copied
in upon reboot.

Our install scripts have been made a bit "smarter" so that they can
detect whether there are staged DLLs to copy, or not. In your case,
the DLLs most likely did not need to be installed, so no lock
conditions were encountered, so no reboot was required. Instead, you
should have seen a dialog giving you options to view the README file
and to launch ADSM.

In addition, for the Microsoft redistributable DLLs, we used to use
"newer version" and/or "newer date" criteria to determine whether the
DLL should be installed. Microsoft's DLLs have reliable version
numbers built in to them, making the date criterion unnecessary. This
means that under previous ADSM client installs, we might have
installed a DLL that was at the exact same version, but had a newer
modification date. But the chances are very good, especially if you
have already installed ADSM before, that updating the DLLs is not
necessary, and that in fact only the date is different. By removing
the date criterion, we reduce the chance that the DLL will be need
to be reinstalled, and thus reduce the possibility of the need to
reboot.

Please note that when running in "record" mode or "silent" mode, you
will *always* get the reboot prompt. This is because the need to
reboot is normally determined at run-time, but silent install
requires a pre-determined dialog sequence. In order to be the most
safe, we err on the side of caution, and assume that a reboot will
be necessary.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Hi,
since a few PTF-versions of the NT client the install procedure always
requested the client to get rebooted. To get onto the save side I sometimes
also rebooted after installing the services.

Now today I installed the new fixtest version 3.1.0.7F (=PTF7 Fixtest F) and
the reboot message was gone!
Does anybody know if the problem is really fixed (so there's no need to
reboot any more) or if only the message got kicked out?

Best regards,
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl