ADSM-L

Re: Using archsymlinkfile=no in AIX client version 3.1.0.7

1999-08-20 08:23:04
Subject: Re: Using archsymlinkfile=no in AIX client version 3.1.0.7
From: Christian Bolik <BOLIK AT DE.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:23:04 +0200
M.Feyerabend wrote:

>During archiving and retrieving I don't want to store links as files but
as
>links as they are originally.
>Since Version 3.1.0.7. this is possible with option ARCHSYML=no.
>
>One thing is disturbing with it:
>
>After retrieving links their
>file creation date is not the original one but the actual date of the
retrieve
>action.
>
>This behaviour is even described in IX89551:
>
>SYMLINKS ARE RESTORED WITH DATE OF TODAY,
>
>but unique and I cant see any reason for it ??

The reason for this is that the mtime of symbolic links cannot be changed
which
makes sense as they don't have any content of their own that could be
modified.
The mtime of a symbolic link is always the time of its creation.
System commands like tar or touch also aren't able to change a symlink's
mtime
either, for the same reasons.  "Touch"ing a symlink always changes the
mtime
of the link target only. IX89551 was fixed in PTF 7 so that ADSM no longer
considers the mtime of symbolic links during incremental backup to
determine
whether they should be backed up or not.

Best regards,

Christian Bolik
Development, Tivoli Storage Manager