ADSM-L

Re: TCP/IP Errors on AIX and Solaris

1999-08-20 08:07:21
Subject: Re: TCP/IP Errors on AIX and Solaris
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:07:21 -0400
Wrong.  errno is an operating system variable, as described in
/usr/include/sys/errno.h...not an ADSM error indicator.  The 132 is defined in
Solaris as:
#define ENOBUFS         132     /* No buffer space available */

The unix general explanation is:

                        An operation on a socket or pipe was not performed
                        because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or
                        because a queue was full.
                        Can occur when the application specifies a TCP/IP
                        buffer size which is larger than the max TCP/IP buffer
                        size configured in the operating system:

The ADSM tie-in is:

        ENOBUFS: No buffer space available.  Usually happens when you've
        specified a TCPWINDOWSIZE setting that is larger than your operating
        system TCP/IP configuration is set up to handle:
        - In AIX, you need to check the sb_max value (on AIX use the command
          "no -a" to determine the current sb_max).  sb_max is expressed in
          bytes, so if you divide by 1,024, that will tell you the maximum
          setting you can use for TCPWINDOWSIZE. For example, if sb_max is
          65,536, then the maximum TCPWINDOWSIZE value you can use is 64.
        - In HP-UX, the limit is the kernelparameter STRMSGSZ, which is
          expressed in KB.
        Try lowering TCPWINDOWSIZE so that it is less than or equal to sb_max,
        and the messages should go away. Alternatively you can increase
        sb_max. IMPORTANT NOTE: sb_max is a system-wide TCP/IP setting. You
        should be familiar with tuning TCP/IP (or get help from someone who
        knows how to tune TCP/IP) before changing sb_max or any other
        system-wide TCP/IP settings.

ADSM developers:  You should be intercepting these conditions and at a minimum
put out ADSM error messages to describe the condition and give customers a
sense of what action to take.  Simply spewing them out and exiting is failing
to add the value that the product should, in helping customers more readily
employ the ADSM to run their businesses.

Richard Sims, BU