ADSM-L

DIGEST problem - please forward to the list server support team

1999-08-18 06:05:05
Subject: DIGEST problem - please forward to the list server support team
From: Geetam Van Der Dussen <geetam AT SCOTPROV.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:05:05 +0100
Dear ADSM friends

From the discussion "Subscription problems" I understand that the person
who maintains the mailing list server may not be aware of any problems with
the mailing list which we mention in our conversations.

Could someone let this person know that the software that produces the
DIGESTs is not working right. I was assuming that someone was trying to fix
the problem because the symptoms change now and again, but...

Symptoms:
.  The digests do not have the summary list of subjects at the top any more
(sometimes there is a list of subjects in between the other messages)
.  The first (visible) message is not complete (top cut off)
.  There are sequences (half a line full) of 'rubbish characters'
separating messages in the digest
.  Sometimes there is a large block (many lines) of 'rubbish' characters,
the next message in the digest is often (always?) incomplete (as if the
rubbish has overwritten the first part)
.  Often whole series of messages are repeated in the same digest (NOT an
original messages included in a reply)

I received the first garbeled digest on 30 June. The digests seems to be
formatted correctly during the weekend (when there are only a few
messages?). It is easy to recognise a messed up digest, because the subject
line is blank instead of "ADSM-L Digest" followed by the dates. The sender
is "owner-ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU" instead of ""ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
<ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>".

I think I have listed all the symptoms that I have noticed, but if I can
help solving the problem, please let me know.

I am still trying to read the digests because I appreciate your opinions
and experiences very much, but sometimes it *seems* more trouble then it is
worth. (I subscribe to the digest because it is (was) quicker to read the
digest once a day then to read the messages one by one).

Regards
     Geetam

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message is confidential and for the use only
of the intended recipient.  If you receive the message in error you are not
entitled to disseminate, copy or use the contents in any way.  In such
circumstances please forward the message back to the sender or contact
Scottish Provident Institution by telephone on 0131 556 9181.

Scottish Provident UK is the marketing name in the UK of The Scottish
Provident Institution, (a mutual life office incorporated by Act of
Parliament registered in Scotland no. Z5).  It is a member of the Scottish
Provident marketing group which also includes Scottish Provident
International Life Assurance Limited (registered in the Isle of Man no.
053002C).  Both companies are regulated by the Personal Investment
Authority.  Scottish Provident Trustees Limited, (registered in Scotland
no. 108046), Scottish Provident Pension Trustees Limited* (registered in
England no. 2404622). Registered Office: 7-11 Melville Street, Edinburgh,
EH3 7YZ. *Registered Office: One Silk Street, London, EC2Y 8HQ.   Head
Office: 6 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, EH2 2YA.  Telephone 0131 556 9181