ADSM-L

Re: move data command on primary tape pool

1999-08-12 20:39:51
Subject: Re: move data command on primary tape pool
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:39:51 +1200
> If data is moved from primary tape pool A to another primary tape pool B
> using   "move data <vol_number> stgpool=primary poolB",

There will be no change to the files stored in copypoolA.  The copy
will remain in copypoolA.

> Does the copypoolA version of the moved data expire normally during
> an "expire inventory"?

Yes.

With copypools ADSM considers the files themselves, not which primary
pool they are stored in.

When you run "backup stgpool poolA copypoolA", ADSM works its way
through all the files in poolA and sees if they are in copypoolA.  If
the file is not, then it is copied over.  There is no checking that
all the files in copypoolA are still in poolA.

As a working example, I have a DISK based primary pool and a tape pool
set as the next storage pool for migration (i.e., a standard setup).
Scheduled commands back up both pools to the same copypool.  The files
are only copied once.

Creating small storage pools with the FILE device type is a great way
to check out what ADSM does with files and copypools.  You can
simulate your production storage pools and create some managment
classes to store files into those pools then.  Back up a few files and
use "query content" to see them move around in response to different
commands.

Russell