ADSM-L

Re: ADSM server migration

1999-08-12 15:31:38
Subject: Re: ADSM server migration
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:31:38 -0400
This isn't quite right.

When adsm comes up, it looks in dsmserv.dsk to find its data base.

If you are doing a restore, ADSM looks in the devconfig file to locate its
tape devices, and looks in the volhistory file to find the last good backup
copy.

So it depends on whether you are planning to do the move by restoring the
data base to new disk on the server, or by physically recabling the old disk
to the new server and importing the volume groups.

If you are going to move the data base by restoring it, ADSM will use the
volhistory file to locate the last good backup, and restore it to the new
data base on your new server.  In this case the data base and log on your
new server must be AT LEAST AS LARGE as your old ones, not exactly the same
size..

Regarding the disk storage pools, I have always just deleted them from the
data base after the restore, and redefined them after the dsmfmt.  You don't
need them to be correct when the server first comes up, like you do for the
db and log.