ADSM-L

move data command on primary tape pool

1999-08-12 10:47:33
Subject: move data command on primary tape pool
From: Phipps Tony <Tony_Phipps AT LONDONELEC.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:47:33 +0100
We wish ensure that only one physical copy of tapes required for long term
storage exist.
As most of the data concerned is Oracle DB backups using EBU, ADSM archives
are not applicable.
We also (for data security) wish to have two tape copies of the backup data
for upto a month to minimise the impact of media failure.

The scenario:

primary poolA is backed up nightly to copypoolA

primary poolB has no copypool

Tapes not written to for over a month have the data moved from primary poolA
to primary poolB

If data is moved from primary tape pool A to another primary tape pool B
using   "move data <vol_number> stgpool=primary poolB",
what happens to copypool versions of the data from previous storage pool
backups of primary poolA? Does the copypoolA
version of the moved data expire normally during an "expire inventory"?
If not, how do I free up the redundant space from copypoolA?
The admin guide says: "Files in a copy storage pool do not move when primary
files are moved" but surely a copypool is a reflection of its primary pool?
Let me know if you have had any experience with this sort of thing.
cheers
Tony Phipps