ADSM-L

Migrating from 3490E to Magstar

1999-08-11 11:50:55
Subject: Migrating from 3490E to Magstar
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:50:55 +0200
Hi,
we are in changing our tape technology from 3490E to Magstar. Right now our
tape libraries have both types of drives installed. Now for migrating the
3490E-Pool to Magstar (about 1500 tapes) I've found the following
possibilities:

Select some tapes manually and issue a MOVE VOLUME command to write the
contents of the tape into the disk-pool or directly into the Magstar-pool.
Define a "NEXTSTGPOOL" for the 3490E-pool. Here it is also possible to
make a decision between the diskpool and the Magstar-pool.
Define a "RECLAIMSTGPOOL" for the 3490E-pool. This is only possible with a
sequential access pool, which means going directly to Magstar.

I think the first alternative is great for the last remaining tapes that
"refuse" to get migrated.
I'm not sure if "NEXTSTGPOOL" or "RECLAIMSTGPOOL" is the more efficient way.

Does somebody have experiences in this area?

Best regards,
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl