ADSM-L

Re: ADSM database Backup to a FILE device class

1999-08-11 06:41:29
Subject: Re: ADSM database Backup to a FILE device class
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:41:29 +0200
Hi Oliver,

Depending on what platform you are you can do different things
to achieve what you want. On OS390 we backup our DB directly to
a tape device class which is written off-site by electronic vaulting.

On our smaller ADSM NT servers I backup the DB to a file device class
mapped to a network drive in another building. This has not given me
any problems since implementation about a year ago - and yes I've restored
the ADSM DB from these backups a few times.
It sounds like you want to save tapes by backing up to files and then once
you have a few of these fill up one tape with these files.
If this is what you want to do - it is possible but there is always the
possibility that you write a weeks database backups to one tape and this
tape has an I/O error - This is why it is not possible to just append
your database backups to one tape. ADSM development made it like that
for a reason.

Hope this has answered your question.

Regards
Christo Heuer