ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:40:32
We are considering using the mainframe to create "ditto" copies of our 3590 AIX daily archive tapes for offsite storage. I handed a full ADSM tape plus a blank to one of our operators and requested a trial. He asked me if it was "the standard 3 file copy", to which I replied "Duh...I guess so.". (I'm known around the compute room for my incredibly quick, witty and intelligent responses. :-) He started the copy at around 2:45 p.m. and it hadn't finished by 5:00 p.m.. The "capacity bar" on the copy 3590 indicated about 75%. There were lots of tape starts and stops.

While the performance issue is something I'll need to discuss with a mainframe systems programmer, this did lead me to wonder how an ADSM 3590 tape volume is structured. I'm fairly certain that the tape volume header is separated from the archive data by a tape mark, but what does the rest of the tape look like?

Thanks,

    Mark

Mark R. Rinfret, CBSI
mrinfret AT markrinfret DOT com (preferred)
mrinfret AT cbsinc DOT com
Pager: 401-925-7076
Phone: 401-222-1193 (Johnston Computer Room)