ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-Server on Sun Sever

1999-08-05 09:22:24
Subject: Re: ADSM-Server on Sun Sever
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:22:24 -0400
> Steve,
>
> I noticed on the adsm-l you said your database is 56 GB's.  Are you using
> raw volumes?

No raw volumes, and no VxFS.

> The reason I ask is because my database is only 8 GB's and when I had to
> recover my server (twice) it took over 6 hours to format the disk and
> restore.  We are currently using VxFS and I have been thinking about
> switching to raw to see if there is a performance improvement.

What version of ADSM are you on?  The reason the format takes so long is
that the format process is calling sync every N number of writes.  I had
some trouble with my DB, and Sun Server Development sent me a dsmserv
module that did not do the sync calls, and I formated my 5GB recovery log
in 15 minutes, rather than 6 hours.  Since 15 minutes is not much time to
waste if the system crashed during the process (no call to sync), it
doesn't make much sense to protect this operation (with periodic sync
calls).  Just call it once at the end (which close probably does anyway).

I dunno if the sync calls have been removed by now (3.1.2.40), but perhaps
the Sun Developers listening here could comment.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,