ADSM-L

AIX ADSM server level 3.1.2.40 - no drives

1999-08-04 05:01:05
Subject: AIX ADSM server level 3.1.2.40 - no drives
From: Matthias Hensel <Matthias.Hensel AT SCHERING DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:01:05 +0200
Hello,

upgrading a AIX 3.1.2.20 Server to 3.1.2.40 seems to give likely errors
like on NT mentioned by Mark Remeta.

ADSM is willing to use one tape drive of a 3494 library (3590e) as maximum
for migrating the backuppool which is a diskpool. Every other process is
terminating with FAILURE raising the  message ANR8447E "No drives are
currently available in library 3494A" filling up the activity log. It is
not even willing to do a migration for the archivepool which is also a
diskpool.

On the other hand ADSM is using all drives for serving this only process.
When one drive is about to unload the tape, the next required tape for
migration is mounted in another drive. Unlike on NT changing the Mountlimit
value for the device class from 5 to "DRIVES" or vice versa does not bring
any changes in this situation.

Could it be that some testing values like Mountlimit=1 for all device
classes remained in this server level?

For my opinion: Do not install the 2.40 level because it halts production !
We have a priority 1 call at IBM and they are not responding !

Can anyone help? IBM seems not.

Matthias