ADSM-L

optimum utilization of Next storagepool and DISKPOOL

1999-08-03 22:12:54
Subject: optimum utilization of Next storagepool and DISKPOOL
From: "Gogineni, Sri" <SGogineni AT CAISO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 19:12:54 -0700
Hi all,
        We have two optical jukeboxes at a site. We are utilizing the
extended space of the  two storage pools by the usual
NEXTSTORAGEPOOL=poolname parameter.  Thus when the first pool crosses a
certain limit it migrates to the second pool.

Unlike DISKPOOL migration which starts multiple processes and utilizing all
the drives ,  The OPTICALPOOL1  to OPTICALPOOL2 migration starts only a
single process.  Thus  utilizing only one drive out of the four available on
each juke box.

The only way for me to efficiently( use all the 4 drives)  utilize the
drives is to manually move the data apart from the  single migration
process.
( Ignore the copy storage pool option).

The other option is for me to define clients to a different domain's  and
copygroup and  splitting up the DISKPOOL into two. This option would
utilize OPTICALPOOL's efficiently but DISKPOOL utilization would be
inefficient.

I wonder how you use multiple sequential storage pools efficiently .   (
DRIVE UTILIZATION).

Thanks

Sri