ADSM-L

Re: Degraded restore performance

1999-07-30 08:01:59
Subject: Re: Degraded restore performance
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:01:59 -0400
>However a few days back an attempted restore of 30 active files of 20Mb took
>almost 20 minutes. A few other trial restores gave similar results.
>
>I must admit collocation is not turned on. But the session seems to be run
>state and not waiting for media.  The CPU statistics reveal that it is IO
>bound by the disk containing the dbvolumes

Sri - This is one of those questions which your own analysis will probably
      tell you more about than any guesses that anyone on the List can supply
based upon the limited info.  A simple lookup of 30 entries in the ADSM
database is not going to overload the database.  We don't know what else was
going on in ADSM at the time, or what else may be on the disk(s) containing
the database, but something else seems to have been driving the load up.
Beyond that we can only advise the usual analysis of watching a test session
from the server, observing any progress indicator on the face of the drive or
stats you can inquiry from it, running opsys performance monitors during the
operation, examining any errpt entries from that time, etc.  In short, you
should perform a controlled experiment to see where the delay is.
    Richard Sims, BU