ADSM-L

Re: DISK Storage Pool Performance

1999-07-29 12:10:41
Subject: Re: DISK Storage Pool Performance
From: S W Branch <SWBRANC AT PPCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:10:41 -0500
Backing up 20 gig from one client and 20 gig from another client may or may not
be a valid comparison. A client consisting of mostly 20 gig of small files will
encounter significantly more overhead associated with processing directories,
ADSM database entries, and network transmissions than another client with 20 gig
of mostly large files.

Are you using RAID 5 for your disk storage pool? There can be a pretty
significant write penalty that can be partially overcome with fast write cache.

Did you place multiple storage pool volumes on the same physical disk or
intermix them with ADSM database?

You might take a quick look at your performance with vmstat and iostat and
filemon to see where your bottleneck is.

Steve Branch
Phillips Petroleum
e-mail: swbranc AT ppco DOT com

"Cohn, Grant" <Grant.Cohn AT SAPREF DOT COM> on 07/29/99 04:27:05 AM

Any replies will be addressed to: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>