ADSM-L

Re: Recovery of Exchange - was: backing up Exchange

2015-10-04 17:41:28
Subject: Re: Recovery of Exchange - was: backing up Exchange
From: Nathan King [mailto:nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
John,

I have yet to encounter a problem restoring an Exchange Database with the
Adsm Connect Agent.
Let me take that back.. we have had problems but not related to the Connect
Agent and I've restored well over 50 Exchange databases so far - either for
the purpose of mailbox restore or for loss of server.

I'm still trying to work out however why our recoveries take much longer
than the backup.

When backing up straight to tape we reach about 30Gb/hr, however restore is
about 15Gb/hr.
That's a pefectly acceptable restore rate but I'm curious as to the dramatic
loss of speed.

I understand that you are going to loose some speed because you are writing
data rather than reading it.
Our Exchange Servers also have write cacheing disabled to improve
reliability - this also slows down a restore - enabling write cacheing
boosted the restore up to almost 18Gb/hr.

I still can't believe that restores are giving half the throughput of the
backup. I've a feeling it's a network tuning parameter on our Rs/6000.
Anyone any ideas?

Nathan