ADSM-L

Re: Solaris 7 x86 client?

1999-03-15 23:43:09
Subject: Re: Solaris 7 x86 client?
From: John Valdes <j-valdes AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:43:09 -0600
Joe Gross writes:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 10:54:07AM -0600, Robert Jarry wrote:
> > Is there a ADSM client for Intel Solaris 7?
>
> The short answer is no.
[...]
> The long answer is you can make the unsupported Linux V3 client work under
> Solaris x86 [using lxrun from http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~steven/lxrun/]

Alternately, the V3 NCR client *seems* to work fine out of the box.
It's distributed as a SVR4 package, so just use pkgadd to install it.
I haven't tested it extensively yet, but the backup/archive client has
so far worked OK.  To get the GUI b/a client to work, you need to
create symbolic links for two X window shared libraries (libX11 and
libXt):

  prompt# ln -s ../openwin/lib/libX11.so.4 /usr/lib/libX11.so.5.0
  prompt# ln -s ../openwin/lib/libXt.so.4 /usr/lib/libXt.so.5.0

(Solaris 7 already has symlinks named libX11.so.5 and libXt.so.5 in
/usr/lib, but the NCR dsm executable is looking for .so's w/ version
"5.0".)  The command-line b/a client (and admin client) works as is.

As I said, I haven't tested it extensively, so I don't know how well
it handles things like device files, ACLs, loop-back (automounted)
filesystems, pcfs (DOS) filesystems, etc.  I haven't tried the client
scheduler yet, either.  I've only tried the NCR client on Solaris 7;
I don't know how it fares on previous versions of Solaris x86.

> It would be nice if IBM would at least produce an unsupported x86 client as
> it would require nothing but a recompile of the Sparc client.

Given the supported Sparc client and other x86 SVR4 client(s), I'd
think a Solaris x86 client would be easy.  Maybe a generic x86 SVR4
client is possible?  (I don't know how "generic" x86 SVR4 really
is...).  For what it's worth, the V2 ATT client works too, but the V3
SCO client doesn't.

John

John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
j-valdes AT uchicago DOT edu                               University of Chicago