ADSM-L

Full backup of a node

1999-07-26 11:47:36
Subject: Full backup of a node
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:47:36 -0400
> I am trying to get a full backup of a node before we install some software.
> I am running AIX 4.3.2,  ADSM Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.1
>
> I have used the "dsmc select / -subdir=y -tapeprompt=n" command and it says
> that it backup 7,500+ files and total was 4 MB backed up. The amount seems
> small to me. This node has oracle on it and they said that it alone was
> 400MB. This RS/6000 systems is still in the early stages of development and
> is not running any production yet. I also want it to go directly to tape.
> How do I do this.

The ADSM backup commands will not jump file system boundaries when descending
a directory subtree. As a result, you are missing everything outside the file
system mounted as '/'. If your file system layout is at all typical, this
includes, among other things, /usr and all its descendents, /home and all its
descendents, and any file systems set up specifically for Oracle code and data.